Uzza, The Garden Of
| Uzzielites, The
In Bible versions:
son of Bukki; a chief priest
son of Tola son of Issachar
son of Bela son of Benjamin
son of Michri of Benjamin whose descendants returned from exile
son of Bani of Asaph; Levite overseer in Nehemiah's time
a priestly head of the house of Jedaiah under Joiakim
my strength; my kid
Uzzi = "strong"
1) a Levite, son of Bukki and father of Zerahiah in the line of the
high priest although apparently never high priest himself
2) son of Tola and grandson of Issachar
3) a Benjamite, son of Bela and head of a family of Benjamin
4) son of Michri and father of Elah and an ancestor of a family of
returned exiles settling in Jerusalem. Maybe same as 3
5) a Levite, son of Bani, and an overseer of the Levites in Jerusalem
in the time of Nehemiah
6) a priest, chief of the father's house of Jedaiah, in the time of
Joiakim the high priest
7) one of the priests who helped Ezra in the dedication of the wall
of Jerusalem. Maybe same as 6
5813 `Uzziy ooz-zee'
from 5810; forceful; Uzzi, the name of six
see HEBREW for 05810
the Lord is my strength. (1.) The son of Bukki, and a descendant of Aaron (1 Chr. 6:5, 51; Ezra 7:4).
(2.) A grandson of Issachar (1 Chr. 7:2, 3).
(3.) A son of Bela, and grandson of Benjamin (1 Chr. 7:7).
(4.) A Benjamite, a chief in the tribe (1 Chr. 9:8).
(5.) A son of Bani. He had the oversight of the Levites after the return from captivity (Neh. 11:22).
(6.) The head of the house of Jedaiah, one of "the chief of the priests" (Neh. 12:19).
(7.) A priest who assisted in the dedication of the walls of Jerusalem (Neh. 12:42).
1. A priest. Son of Bukki, 1 Chr. 6:5
; Ezra 7:4
2. Grandson of Issachar, 1 Chr. 7:2
3. Grandson of Benjamin, 1 Chr. 7:7
4. Son of Michri, 1 Chr. 9:8
5. An overseer of the Levites, Neh. 11:22
6. A priest in the time of Nehemiah, Neh. 12:19
- Son of Bukki and father of Zerahiah, in the line of the high priests. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 6:5,61; Ezra 7:4) Though Uzzi was the lineal ancestor of Zadok, it does not appear that he was ever high priest. He must have been contemporary with, but rather earlier than, Eli. (B.C. before 1161.)
- Son of Tola the son of Issachar. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 7:2,3) (B.C. 1706.)
- Son of Bela, of the tribe of Benjamin. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 7:7) (B.C. 1706.)
- Another, or the same, from whom descended some Benjamite houses, which were settled at Jerusalem after the return from captivity. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 9:8)
- A Levite, son of Bani and overseer of the Levites dwelling at Jerusalem, in the time of Nehemiah. (Nehemiah 11:22)
- A priest, chief of the father?s house of Jedaiah, in the time of Joiakim the high priest. (Nehemiah 12:19) (B.C. about 500.)
- One of the priests who assisted Ezra in the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem. (Nehemiah 12:42) Perhaps the same as the preceding. (B.C. 446.)
- uz'-i ('uzzi, perhaps "my strength"):
(1) A descendant of Aaron and high priest, unknown apart from these sources (1 Ch 6:5,6,51 (Hebrew 5:31,32; 6:36); Ezr 7:4).
(2) An eponym of a family of Issachar (1 Ch 7:2,3).
(3) Head of a Benjamite family (1 Ch 7:7), or more probably of a Zebulunite family (see Curtis, Chron., 145-49).
(4) Father of Elah, a Benjamite (1 Ch 9:8), perhaps the same as (5).
(5) A son of Bani and overseer of the Levitea in Jerusalem (Neh 11:22).
(6) Head of the priestly family of Jedaiah (Neh 12:19,42).
David Francis Roberts