Also see definition of "Philadelphia" in Word Study
Study Dictionary
Index A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Table of Contents
GREEK: 5359 filadelfeia Philadelpheia
NAVE: Philadelphia
EBD: Philadelphia
SMITH: PHILADELPHIA
ISBE: PHILADELPHIA
PORTRAITS: Philadelphia
Pheresites | Pherezite | Phi-Beseth | Phichol | Phicol | Philadelphia | Philanthropy, See | Philarches | Philemon | Philemon, Epistle to | Philemon, The Epistle Of Paul To

Philadelphia

In Bible versions:

Philadelphia: NET AVS NIV NRSV NASB TEV
a town in Lydia in the western part of Asia Minor

love of a brother
NETBible Maps: Map7 F1 ; Map8 D5 ; OT4 E6 ; OT5 E6 ; OT6 C4 ; NT2 B2
Google Maps: Philadelphia (38° 20´, 28° 31´)
Arts:
Arts Topics: To the Church in Philadelphia

Greek

Strongs #5359: filadelfeia Philadelpheia

Philadelphia = "brotherly love"

1) a city of Lydia in Asia Minor, situated near the eastern base of
Mount Tmolus, founded and named by the Pergamene king, Attalus II
Philadelphus. After the death of Attalus III Philometor, 133 BC, it
together with his entire kingdom came by his will under the
jurisdiction of the Romans.

5359 Philadelpheia fil-ad-el'-fee-ah

from Philadelphos (the same as 5361), a king of Pergamos;
Philadelphia, a place in Asia Minor:-Philadelphia.
see GREEK for 5361

Philadelphia [EBD]

brotherly love, a city of Lydia in Asia Minor, about 25 miles south-east of Sardis. It was the seat of one of the "seven churches" (Rev. 3:7-12). It came into the possession of the Turks in A.D. 1392. It has several times been nearly destroyed by earthquakes. It is still a town of considerable size, called Allahshehr, "the city of God."

Philadelphia [NAVE]

PHILADELPHIA, a city of Lydia. One of the "seven churches'' at, Rev. 1:11; 3:7-13.

PHILADELPHIA [SMITH]

strictly Philadelphi?a (brotherly love), a town on the confines of Lydia and Phrygia Catacecaumene, 25 southeast of Sardis, and built by Attalus II., king of Pergamos, who died B.C. 138. It was situated on the lower slopes of Tmolus, and is still represented by a town called Allah-shehr (city of God). Its elevation is 952 feet above the sea. The original population of Philadelphia. Seems to have been Macedonian; but there was, as appears from (Leviticus 3:9) a synagogue of Hellenizing Jews there, as well as a Christian church. (It was the seat of one of "the seven churches of Asia.") The locality was subject to constant earthquakes, which in the time of Strabo rendered even the town walls of Philadelphia unsafe. The expense of reparation was constant, and hence perhaps the poverty of the members of the church. (Revelation 3:8) (The church was highly commended.) (Revelation 3:7-13) Even Gibbon bears the following well-known testimony to the truth of the prophecy, "Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee in the hour of temptation": "At a distance from the sea, forgotten by the (Greek) emperor encompassed, all sides by the Turks, her valiant citizens defended their religion and freedom above fourscore years. Among the Greek colonies and churches of Asia, Philadelphia is still erect, a column in a scene of ruins." "The modern town (Allah-shehr , city of God), although spacious, containing 3000 houses and 10,000 inhabitants, is badly built; the dwellings are mean and the streets filthy. The inhabitants are mostly Turks. A few ruins are found, including remains of a wall and about twenty-five churches. In one place are four strong marble pillars, which once supported the dome of a church. One of the old mosques is believed by the native Christians to have been the church in which assembled the primitive Christians addressed in the Apocalypse." Whitney?s Bible Geography.)

PHILADELPHIA [ISBE]

PHILADELPHIA - fil-a-del-'fi-a (Philadelphia: A city of ancient Lydia in Asia Minor on the Cogamus River, 105 miles from Smyrna. It stood upon a terrace 650 ft. above the sea. Behind it are the volcanic cliffs to which the Turks have given the name of Devitt, or "inkwells"; on the other side of the city the land is exceedingly fertile, and there was produced a wine of whose excellence the celebrated Roman poet Virgil wrote. Philadelphia is not so ancient as many of the other cities of Asia Minor, for it was founded after 189 BC on one of the highways which led to the interior. Its name was given to it in honor of Attalus II, because of his loyalty to his elder brother, Eumenes II, king of Lydia. Still another name of the city was Decapolis, because it was considered as one of the ten cities of the plain. A third name which it bore during the 1st century. AD was Neo-kaisaria; it appears upon the coins struck during that period. During the reign of Vespasian, it was called Flavia. Its modern name, Ala-shehir, is considered by some to be a corruption of the Turkish words Allah-shehir, "the city of God," but more likely it is a name given it from the reddish color of the soil. In addition to all of these names it sometimes bore the title of "Little Athens" because of the magnificence of the temples and other public buildings which adorned it. Philadelphia quickly became an important and wealthy trade center, for as the coast cities declined, it grew in power, and retained its importance even until late Byzantine times. One of the Seven Churches of the Book of Revelation (Rev 3:7 ff) was there, and it was the seat of a bishop. As in most Asia Minor cities, many Jews lived there, and they possessed a synagogue. During the reign of Tiberius the city was destroyed by an earthquake, yet it was quickly rebuilt. Frederick Barbarossa entered it while on his crusade in 1190. Twice, in 1306 and 1324, it was besieged by the Seljuk Turks, but it retained its independence until after 1390, when it was captured by the combined forces of the Turks and Byzantines. In 1403 Tamerlane captured it, and, it is said, built about it a wall of the corpses of his victims.

Ala-shehir is still a Christian town; one-fourth of its modern population is Greek, and a Greek bishop still makes his home there. One of the chief modern industries is a liquorice factory; in the fields about the city the natives dig for the roots. On the terrace upon which the ancient city stood, the ruins of the castle and the walls may still be seen, and among them is pointed out the foundation of the early church. The place may now best be reached by rail from Smyrna.

E. J. Banks


Also see definition of "Philadelphia" in Word Study


TIP #06: On Bible View and Passage View, drag the yellow bar to adjust your screen. [ALL]
created in 0.04 seconds
powered by bible.org