| Mesobaite, The
In Bible versions:
grandfather of Shaphan, King Josiah's secretary
son of Zerubbabel
son of Abihail; a founding father of one of the clans of Gad
son of Elpaal of Benjamin
son of Hodaviah of Benjamin
son of Shephatiah of Benjamin
a high priest; son of Zadok II
son of Meshillemith; a priest
a Kohath Levite overseer of temple restoration for King Josiah
one of the leaders Ezra sent to Iddo to ask for recruits
a man who opposed the Jews putting away their heathen wives
a layman of the Bani Clan who put away his heathen wife
son of Berechiah son of Meshezabel; a repairer of the wall
son of Besodeiah; a man who helped repair a gate in the wall
a man who stood with Ezra when he publicly read the law to the assembly
a priest who signed the covenant to keep God's law
an Israelite chief who signed the covenant to obey God's law
son of Joed of Benjamin; father of Sallu, a returned exile
a priest and head of the house of Ezra under High Priest Joiakim in the time of Nehemiah
a priest, head of the house of Ginnethon in Nehemiah's time
a man who was a gate keeper in the time of Nehemiah
peaceable; perfect; their parables
Meshullam = "friend"
1) grandfather of Shaphan, the scribe
2) son of Zerubbabel
3) a Benjamite of the sons of Elpaal
4) a Benjamite, father of Sallu
5) a Benjamite who lived at Jerusalem after the captivity
6) a Benjamite
6a) perhaps the same as 3 or 4
7) a Gadite in the reign of king Jotham of Judah
8) son of Berechiah who assisted in rebuilding the wall of Jerusalem
9) son of Besodeiah who assisted Jehoiada the son of Paseah in
restoring the old gate of Jerusalem
10) a chief of the people who sealed the covenant with Nehemiah
11) father of Hilkiah and high priest probably in the reign of king
Amon of Judah
11a) perhaps the same as 'Shallum'
12) a priest, son of Meshillemith or Meshillemoth, son of Immer, and
ancestor of Maasiai or Amashai
13) a priest or family of priests who sealed the covenant with Nehemiah
14) a priest, head of the family of Ginnethon and representative of
the house of Ezra in the days of Joiakim, the son of Jeshua
15) a priest, one of the princes of Judah at the dedication of the
wall of Jerusalem
16) a Kohathite or family of Kohathite Levites in the reign of Josiah
17) a Levite, one of the heads sent to Iddo to gather the Levites to
join the caravan about to return to Jerusalem; a chief man who
assisted Ezra in abolishing the marriages which some of the people
had made with foreign wives
18) ancestor of a family of porters or Levites in days of Nehemiah
19) a descendant of Bani who had a foreign wife and put her away
20) one of the men who stood at the left hand of Ezra when he read
the law to the people
20a) maybe the same as 17
4918 Mshullam mesh-ool-lawm'
from 7999; allied; Meshullam, the name of seventeen
see HEBREW for 07999
1. Grandfather of Shaphan, 2 Kin. 22:3
2. A son of Zerubbabel, 1 Chr. 3:19
3. A Gadite of Bashan, 1 Chr. 5:13
4. Three Benjamites, 1 Chr. 8:17
5. An Aaronite, 1 Chr. 9:11
; Neh. 11:11
6. A priest, 1 Chr. 9:12
7. A Kohathite and overseer of the temple repairs, 2 Chr. 34:12
8. A chief who returned with Ezra, Ezra 8:16
9. A returned exile, Ezra 10:15
10. Son of Bani who divorced his Gentile wife, Ezra 10:29
11. Two persons who rebuilt portions of the wall, Neh. 3:4
12. A prince who stood by Ezra when he read the law to the people, Neh. 8:4
13. Two priests who signed the covenant, Neh. 10:7
14. A Benjamite, Neh. 11:7
15. Two priests who returned with Zerubabbel from Babylon, Neh. 12:13
16. A Levite, Neh. 12:25
- Ancestor of Shaphan the scribe. (2Ã‚Â Kings 22:3)
- The son of Zerubbabel. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 3:19)
- A Gadite in the reign of Jotham king of Judah. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 5:13)
- A Benjamite, of the sons of Elpaal. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 8:17)
- A Benjamite, father of Sallu. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 9:7; Nehemiah 11:7)
- A Benjamite who lived at Jerusalem after the captivity. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 9:8)
- The same as Shallum, who was high priest probably in the reign of Amon, and father of Hilkiah. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 9:11; Nehemiah 11:11)
- A priest, son of Meshillemith or Meshillemoth the son of Immer, and ancestor of Maasiai or Amashai. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 9:12) comp. Nehe 11:13
- A Kohathite or a family of Kohathite Levites, in the reign of Josiah. (2Ã‚Â Chronicles 34:12)
- One of the "heads" sent by Ezra to Iddo, "the head," to gather together the Levites to join the caravan about to return to Jerusalem. (Ezra 8:16)
- A chief man who assisted Ezra in abolishing the marriages which some of the people had contracted with foreign wives. (Ezra 10:15)
- One of the descendants of Bani, who had married a foreign wife and put her away. (Ezra 10:29)
- (Nehemiah 3:30; 6:18) The son of Berechiah, who assisted in rebuilding the wall of Jerusalem. (Nehemiah 3:4)
- The son of Besodeiah: he assisted Jehoiada the son of Paseah in restoring the old gate of Jerusalem. (Nehemiah 3:6)
- One of those who stood at the left hand of Ezra when he read the law to the people. (Nehemiah 8:4)
- A priest or family of priests who sealed the covenant with Nehemiah. (Nehemiah 10:7)
- One of the heads of the people who sealed the covenant with Nehemiah. (Nehemiah 10:20)
- A priest in the days of Joiakim the son of Jeshua, and representative of the house of Ezra. (Nehemiah 12:13)
- Also a priest at the same time as the preceding, and head of the priestly family of Ginnethon. (Nehemiah 12:16)
- A family of porters, descendants of Meshullam, (Nehemiah 12:25) who is also called Meshelemiah, (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 26:1) Shelemiah, (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 26:14) and Shallum. (Nehemiah 7:45)
- One of the princes of Judah at the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem. (Nehemiah 12:33)
- me-shul'-am (meshullam, "resigned" or "devoted"; compare Arabic Muslim; Mesollam): An Old Testament name very common in post-exilic times.
(1) The grandfather of Shaphan (2 Ki 22:3).
(2) A son of Zerubbabel (1 Ch 3:19).
(3) A Gadite (1 Ch 5:13).
(4) (5) (6) Three Benjamites (1 Ch 8:17; 9:7,8).
(7) The father of Hilkiah (1 Ch 9:11; Neh 11:11).
(8) A priest, son of Meshillemith (1 Ch 9:12); the parallel list (Neh 11:13) omits the name.
(9) A Kohathite appointed by Josiah as one of the overseers to direct the repairs of the temple (2 Ch 34:12).
(10) One of the chief men sent by Ezra to procure Levites to go up with him to Jerusalem (Ezr 8:16; compare 1 Esdras 8:44).
(11) A Levite opposed to Ezra's regulations anent marriage with foreigners (Ezr 10:15; 1 Esdras 9:14).
(12) One of those who had married foreign wives (Ezr 10:29; compare 1 Esdras 9:30).
(13) One of the repairers of the wall (Neh 3:4,30). His daughter was married to Jehohanan, the son of Tobiah the Ammonite (Neh 6:18).
(14) One of the repairers of the Old Gate (Neh 3:6).
(15) A supporter of Ezra at the reading of the Law (Neh 8:4).
(16) One of those who subscribed the Covenant (Neh 10:20).
(17) A priest who subscribed the Covenant (Neh 10:7).
(18) (19) Two priests at the time of the high priest Joiakim (Neh 12:13,16).
(20) A porter at the time of the high priest Joiakim (Neh 12:25).
(21) A processionist at the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem (Neh 12:33).
John A. Less