| Hananel, The Tower Of
In Bible versions:
son of Shashak of Benjamin
son of Azel of Benjamin
son of Maacah; one of David's military elite
a Levite; head of a group of temple servants in Ezra's time
a Levite who helped Ezra explain the reading of the law
son of Henadad, a Levite who signed the pledge to obey the law
an Israelite chief who signed the covenant to keep God's law
a man of God who had a room in the temple; son of Igdaliah
full of grace
Canan or Hanan = "he is merciful"
1) one of the chief people of the tribe of Benjamin
2) last of the 6 sons of Azel, a descendant of Saul
3) son of Maachah, one of David's mighty warriors
4) father of some sons who returned from exile with Zerubbabel
5) one of the Levites who assisted Ezra in his public exposition of
6) one of the heads of the people who also sealed the covenant with
7) another of the chief laymen who also sealed the covenant with
8) son of Zaccur, grandson of Mattaniah whom Nehemiah made one of the
storekeepers of the provisions collected as tithes. Same as 5 ?
9) son of Igdaliah
2605 Chanan khaw-nawn'
from 2603; favor; Chanan, the name of seven
see HEBREW for 02603
- One of the chief people of the tribe of Benjamin. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 8:23)
- The last of the six sons of Azel, a descendant of Saul. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 8:38; 9:44) (B.C. 588.)
- "Son of Maachah," i.e. possibly a Syrian of Aram-maachah, one of the heroes of David?s guard. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 11:43) (B.C. 1046).
- The sons of Hanan were among the Nethinim who returned from Babylon with Zerubbabel. (Ezra 2:46; Nehemiah 7:49) (B.C. 536).
- One of the Levites who assisted Ezra in his public exposition of the law. (Nehemiah 8:7) (B.C. 446.) The same person is probably mentioned in ch. (Nehemiah 10:10)
- One of the "heads" of "the people," who also sealed the covenant. (Nehemiah 10:22) (B.C. 410.)
- Another of the chief laymen on the same occasion. (Nehemiah 10:26)
- Son of Zaccur, son of Mattaniah, whom Nehemiah made one of the store. keepers of the provisions collected as tithes. (Nehemiah 13:13)
- Son of Igdaliah. (Jeremiah 35:4) (B.C. 410.)
- ha'-nan (chanan, "gracious"):
(1) A chief of the tribe of Benjamin (1 Ch 8:23).
(2) The youngest son of Azel, a descendant of Saul (1 Ch 8:38; 9:44).
(3) One of David's mighty men of valor (1 Ch 11:43).
(4) The head of a family of the Nethinim who returned with Zerubbabel (Ezr 2:46; Neh 7:49).
(5) An assistant of Ezra in expounding the law (Neh 8:7). Possibly the same person is referred to in Neh 10:10 (11).
(6) One of the four treasurers put in charge of the tithes by Nehemiah (Neh 13:13).
(7,8) Two who "sealed the covenant" on the eve of the restoration (Neh 10:22 (23),26 (27)).
(9) A son of Igdaliah, "the man of God," whose sons had a chamber in the temple at Jerusalem (Jer 35:4).
Byron H. Dement