In Bible versions:
son of Assir of Kohath son of Levi
a man of Ephraim; father-in-law of Ruth the Moabitess; son of Jeroham
son of Shaul (Joel) of Kohath son of Levi
son of Ahimoth (Mahath) of Kohath son of Levi
son of Jeroham of Kohath son of Levi
a Levite whose descendants returned from exile; the father of Asa
a man of Benjamin who defected to David at Ziklag
a Levite porter for the ark in David's time
lieutenant commander of the palace of King Ahaz
God the zealous; the zeal of God
God is my strength
Elkanah = "God has possessed" or "God has created"
1) Samuel's father
2) a ruler in Jerusalem in the time of king Ahaz
3) one of David's mighty warriors
4) son of Korah
5) several Levites
511 'Elqanah el-kaw-naw'
from 410 and 7069; God has obtained; Elkanah, the name of
see HEBREW for 0410
see HEBREW for 07069
Eluzai = "God is my strength"
1) a Benjamite warrior who joined David
498 'El`uwzay el-oo-zah'ee
from 410 and 5756 (in the sense of 5797); God (is) defensive;
Eluzai, an Israelite:-Eluzai.
see HEBREW for 0410
see HEBREW for 05756
see HEBREW for 05797
God-created. (1.) The second son of Korah (Ex. 6:24), or, according to 1 Chr. 6:22, 23, more correctly his grandson.
(2.) Another Levite of the line of Heman the singer, although he does not seem to have performed any of the usual Levitical offices. He was father of Samuel the prophet (1 Chr. 6:27, 34). He was "an Ephrathite" (1 Sam. 1:1, 4, 8), but lived at Ramah, a man of wealth and high position. He had two wives, Hannah, who was the mother of Samuel, and Peninnah.
1. Grandson of Korah, Ex. 6:24
; 1 Chr. 6:23
2. Father of Samuel; a descendant of preceding, 1 Sam. 1:1
; 1 Chr. 6:27
3. A Levite, 1 Chr. 6:25
4. Possibly identical with 3, above, 1 Chr. 6:26
5. A Levite, 1 Chr. 9:16
6. A Levite who joined David at Ziklag, 1 Chr. 12:6
7. A doorkeeper for the ark, perhaps identical with 6, above, 1 Chr. 15:23
8. A prince of Ahaz, 2 Chr. 28:7
ELKANAH, OR ELKONAH [SMITH]
- Son, or rather grandson, see (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 6:22,23) (1Chr 6:7,8) of Korah, according to (Exodus 6:24)
- A descendant of the above in the line of Ahimoth, otherwise Mahath, (1Chr 6;26,35; Hebr 11:20
- Another Kohathite Levite, father of Samuel the illustrious judge and prophet. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 6:27,34) (B.C. about 1190.) All that is known of him is contained in the above notices and in (1Ã‚Â Samuel 1:1,4,8,19,21,23) and 1Sam 2:11,20
- A Levite. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 9:16)
- A Korhite who joined David while he was at Ziklag. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 12:6) (B.C. 1054.)
- An officer in the household of Ahaz king of Judah, who was slain by Zichri the Ephraimite when Pekah invaded Judah. (2Ã‚Â Chronicles 28:7) (B.C. 739.)
- el-ka'-na ('elqanah, "God has possessed"):
(1) An Ephraimite, the father of Samuel (1 Sam 1:1-28; 2:11-20). Of his two wives, Hannah, the childless, was best beloved. At Shiloh she received through Eli the promise of a son. Elkanah, with Hannah, took the young Samuel to Shiloh when he was weaned, and left him with EIi as their offering to Yahweh. They were blessed with three other sons and two daughters.
(2) The second son of Korah (Ex 6:24), who escaped the fate of Korah, Dathan and Abiram (Nu 26:11).
(3) One "next to the king" in Jerusalem in the time of Ahaz; slain by one Zichri of Ephraim in war with Pekah (2 Ch 28:7).
(4) One of the Korahites among David's "mighty men" (1 Ch 12:1,6).
(5) A Levite, possibly the same as (2) above (1 Ch 6:23,15,36).
(6) Another Levite of the same line (1 Ch 6:26,35).
(7) Another Levite, ancestor of Berechiah (1 Ch 9:16).
(8) Another Levite (if not the same as (4) above), one of the "doorkeepers for the ark" (1 Ch 15:23).
F. K. Farr
- e-lu'-za-i ('el`uzai, "God is my strength"; compare UZZIEL): One of David's heroes (1 Ch 12:5