Eli, Eli, Lama Sabachthani
Eli, Eli, Lama, Sabachthani
In Bible versions:
son of Helon; Moses' officer over the tribe of Zebulun
son of Pallu of Reuben; father of Dathan and Abiram
son of Jesse; brother of David
a Levite worship leader in David's time
a Gadite officer of Saul's who defected to David
son of Nahath/Toah/Tohu of Levi; Samuel's great grandfather
God is my father; God is the father
Eliab = "my God is father" or "God is father"
1) son of Helon, leader of Zebulun in the wilderness
2) a Reubenite chief, father of Dathan and Abiram
3) David's oldest brother
4) a Levite musician
5) a Gadite warrior for David
6) a Kohathite
446 'Eliy'ab el-ee-awb'
from 410 and 1; God of (his) father; Eliab, the name of six
see HEBREW for 0410
see HEBREW for 01
to whom God is father. (1.) A Reubenite, son of Pallu (Num. 16:1, 12; 26:8, 9; Deut. 11:6).
(2.) A son of Helon, and chief of the tribe of Zebulun at the time of the census in the wilderness (Num. 1:9; 2:7).
(3.) The son of Jesse, and brother of David (1 Sam. 16:6). It was he who spoke contemptuously to David when he proposed to fight Goliath (1 Sam. 17:28).
(4.) One of the Gadite heroes who joined David in his stronghold in the wilderness (1 Chr. 12:9).
1. A Reubenite, progenitor of Dathan and Abiram, Num. 26:8
; Deut. 11:6
2. Son of Helon, Num. 1:9
3. Ancestor of Samuel, 1 Chr. 6:27
Called also Elihu, 1 Sam. 1:1
; and Eliel, 1 Chr. 6:34
4. Son of Jesse, and eldest brother of David, 1 Sam. 16:6
; 1 Chr. 2:13
A prince in the tribe of Judah, 1 Chr. 27:18
5. A hero of the tribe of Gad, 1 Chr. 12:9
6. A Levite, a porter and musician, 1 Chr. 15:18
(God is my father
- Son of Helon and leader of the tribe of Zebulun at the time of the census in the wilderness of Sinai. (Numbers 1:9; 2:7; 7:24,29; 10:16) (B.C. 1490.)
- A Reubenite, father of Dathan and Abiram. (Numbers 16:1,12; 26:8,9; 11:6)
- One of David?s brothers, the eldest of the family. (1Ã‚Â Samuel 16:6; 17:13,28; 1Ã‚Â Chronicles 2:13) (B.C. 1063.)
- A Levite in the time of David, who was both a "porter" and a musician on the "psaltery." (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 15:18,20; 16:5)
- One of the warlike Gadite leaders who came over to David when he was in the wilderness taking refuge from Saul. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 12:9) (B.C. 1061.)
- An ancestor of Samuel the prophet; a Kohathite Levite, son of Nahath. (1Ã‚Â Chronicles 6:27) (B.C. 1250).
- Son of Nathanael, one of the fore-fathers of Judith, and therefore belonging to the tribe of Simeon. Judith 8:1.
- e-li'-ab ('eli'abh, "God is father"):
(1) Prince of the tribe of Zebulun in the Exodus (Nu 1:9; 2:7; 7:24,29; 10:16).
(2) A Reubenite, father of Dathan and Abiram (Nu 16:11,12; 26:8 f; Dt 11:6).
(3) Eldest son of Jesse and brother of David (1 Sam 16:6), once called Elihu (1 Ch 27:18). He was of commanding appearance (1 Sam 16:6) and when serving with Saul's army at the time when it was confronting the Philistines and Goliath, was inclined to lord it over his brother David (1 Sam 17:28 f). His daughter Abihail became a Wife of Rehoboam (2 Ch 11:18).
(4) An Ephraimite, an ancestor of Samuel (1 Ch 6:27); called Eliel in 1 Ch 6:34, and Elihu in 1 Sam 1:1.
(5) A Gadire warrior with David (1 Ch 12:9), one of 11 mighty men (1 Ch 12:8,14).
(6) A Levite musician (1 Ch 15:18,20; 16:5).
(7) An ancestor of Judith (Judith 8:1; compare 9:2).
F. K. Farr